Sugar Cookies and Frosting
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups softened butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (For a real treat - cinnamon extract in the red coloring)
- red gel food coloring or no coloring for the white
- In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond (or cinnamon) extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more milk.